Opportunities for Residents
Openworld Villages offers opportunities, in partnering Ecovillage and Tiny House Communities, for residents to enjoy more fulfilling lives through:
- Lowering living costs by making homes a source of income (AirBnb Startup Package);
- Increasing income via cottage industry ventures (Home-based Ventures Package);
- Gaining shares in rising land values (Community Land Trust/Endowment Zone Package);
- Upgrading amenities through lasting self-help associations (Community Associations Package)
- Accessing peer support and wellness resources (Peer Support Package); and
- Building skills via free courses and 'learn by doing" projects (Next College Package).
We provide partnering communities with a range of innovative packages for residents toward these ends.
AIRBNB STARTUP PACKAGE
- Sample forms to create a LLC for AirBnB rentals;
- Guidelines for depreciating initial investment in a Tiny House on Wheels (THOW) that is rented out on a part- or full-time basis (full depreciation is possible within 2-8 years);
- "Equity Onramp" opportunities for co-ownership of a tiny house, with ownership shared by an investor and a manager who assists AirBnb guests (the manager may live in the house during times when it is not rented); and
- Model agreements for an EcoVillage/Tiny House Community developer to provide owners with turnkey guest services (including check-ins/check outs and cleaning services) for short-term rentals.
HOME-BASED VENTURES PACKAGE
- A "Market Opener" guide on launching home-based telework and cottage industry ventures;
- Guidance on entry and marketing for leading freelance markets (Freelancer.com, Elance/ODesk, Etsy, Lulu, Mechanical Turk, etc); and
- Guidance on entry and marketing for local sharing economy ventures (such as Lyft, Uber, ThredUp, DogVacay, and SwapTree).
COMMUNITY LAND TRUST/ENDOWMENT ZONE PACKAGE
- Creating Community Land Trusts/Endowment Zones to reward self-help efforts;
- Types of volunteer efforts that do most to lift local property values attractive (cleanup/fixup, crime prevention, arts/music events, skill-sharing, etc.);
- Tracking volunteer contributions (Youtube/Vimeo uploads, Slideshare, etc.); and
- Sharing revenues from Community Land Trusts/Endowment Zones to residents who help improve conditions.
COMMUNITY ASSOCIATION PACKAGE
- Understanding contractual community associations;
- Participating in Home Owner Association/Condo Association decision-making and service provision;
- Cost savings via group purchase of insurance policies; and
- Ways to reduce monthly Association fees for support of EcoVillage and Tiny House Community infrastructure and services.
PEER SUPPORT PACKAGE
- Neighbors helping neighbors (internal network for residents of Openworld Villages);
- Other online support/coaching networks; and
- Wellness/health networks (including PatientsLikeMe.com).
NEXT COLLEGE ("LEARN-BY-DOING") PACKAGE
- Finding your passion;
- Overview of free online courses/learning circles for new life skills;
- Introductory work-study projects (a choice of entry-level options in freelancing, solar power, microfarming, wellness, and 3D printing);
- access to scheduled or on-call tutors or teaching assistants; and
- Certification/digital portfolios (via uploads (to Youtube and Vimeo) of learn-by-doing projects).